Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Big Festival I didnt take part in.

This is the biggest festival I least participate in.

That's because all my exams, school to graduation, coincided with this festival. And the chawl a few 100 metres from my home places the same then cassette now CD for all the years. SAME!! Not one change. So much so that I could tell you which track is next at any given time.

And I would cringe, whine and pray for the dance to get over. So yes, some bad memories associated with this festival. But no bad feelings as such.

Thanks to a lot of bengali friends I got to see the other side of the festival. My friends Suchandra and Sudisha took me along to the Durga Puja festival in Balkanji bari, santacruz. Now that was something!!

This festival is arranged by Raja Mukherjee, brother of Rani and cousin of Kajol. A beautiful arrangement of a pandal every year, with an elegant deity of Durga Maa. After praying to her we head to the entertainment show that follows. A lot of famous singers n actors drop by and give a decent performance. But then I get to meet a lot of other sweet bengali people.

I read about the mela in Shivaji park, and I wanted to attend that. But as you will be familiar by now if you have been tracking my blogs, my nights are tied up, hence missed going there. Next time I hope to.

Dusshera! I have enjoyed for years watching the story of Lord Rama killing Ravana, in cartoon and drama. I definitely not a fan of the burning of Ravana effigy. Too combustive! (Yes I won't be burning crackers in Diwali, and haven't been since quite some years.

Quite some BBMs talked abt Dusshera being a lesson never to mess with another persons wife. But not many know, that Lord Rama had given the provision that if Ravana would come and ask for forgiveness, Rama would forgive him without punishing him.

But Ravana didn't, even after witnessing Hanuman single handedly burned Lanka to Ashes.

So Dusshera is the lesson, that death is imminent, but take it as chance to let go of unnecessary, unwanted vices before you regret that its too late.

-------------------Thank You-----------------------